Simply put, The Bill James Handbook: 2005 is the best and most complete annual baseball reference guide available today. It includes informative introductions to the different sections and an extensive glossary that includes explanations and even mathematical formulae for the multitude of statistics now used in baseball — many of them developed by Bill James himself. This book contains a myriad of stats on every hit, pitch and catch in Major League Baseball's 2004 season.
Key features include:
- NEW Hitter Projections for the 2005 Season - a favorite feature that returns to this year's Handbook
- NEW Projected Career Totals for Active Players - an industry first, with an explanation of how this assessment is made and why it sometimes leads to controversial numbers, such as projecting Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez and Sammy Sosa to all pass Hank Aaron's lifetime home run record--Bonds with 918 of them!
- NEW Injury Projections for the 2005 season and beyond - an experiment devised by Sig Mejdal, a NASA mathematician and baseball researcher, with Bill's reflections on whether or not this particular projection will prove valuable over time.
- NEW Team Efficiency Summary - a new stat measuring how efficient teams are in scoring runs, with an explanation of why it is needed and the problems associated with it.
The Handbook also includes these essential stats:
- Bill James Manager's Record
- Bill James Player Win-Shares
- Lifetime Major League Statistics of every player in the 2004 season
- Leader Boards including pitch type, location and velocity
- Park Indices
- Detailed Fielding Statistics
- Complete Team-by-Team Statistics