As a true fan of baseball, you value every aspect of the game, from pitching to hitting to defense. The explosion of statistical analysis has given you ways to compare the talents of the best players, managers and coaches in the Show. There are tons of stats on pitching and hitting, but defense has been pretty much a "did the official scorer call that an error or a hit?" Until now, that is.
The Fielding Bible — Volume II provides average fans information previously available exclusively to MLB teams to judge how good a fielder each player really is, how he should be positioned against certain batters, and how many runs he saves or gives up in a season because of his defensive abilities. The Fielding Bible — Volume II includes:
- Defensive Runs Saved — this stat distills the latest in defensive research into a single number for every defender.
- Total Runs — a combination of Runs Created, Baserunning Runs, and Defensive Runs Saved determines an overall value for every player.
- A pioneering essay by Bill James detailing his revolutionary Misplays/Good Plays way to measure defensive abilities.
- Defensive scouting reports and player commentaries on every regular and semiregular position player in baseball.
- Innovative analysis of Catcher Defense, with catcher ERA taken to the next level.
- Samples of our exclusive Defensive Positioning System that show how and why the most innovative major league teams position their defense.
Defense is an integral part of the game. It always has been. With The Fielding Bible — Volume II, we finally know who the best fielders are — and why.